Our goal is to provide our students, staff, and visitors every possible resource to make University of Charleston (UC) a safe and enjoyable campus.
In addition to routine police and security-related functions, our department endeavors to provide students, staff, and visitors a variety of other helpful services such as:
- Vehicle lockout assistance (signed release required)
- Battery booster jumps (signed release required)
- Handicapped assistance
- Home security checks
- Personal safety escorts (call 304-348-0001 for 24-hour voice pager)
- Local travel and campus information
- "Operation ID" with engravers and inventory forms
- Room lockout assistance (must contact RA or RD). Security will respond to room lockouts for emergencies only.
- Campus parking decals to staff and students
- Lost and found center
- Escorts when carrying cash
- Other related services
History of the Department
The first official UC campus Department of Safety and Security was organized in 1986. Since that time, the department has been striving to keep pace with all current training, technology, and issues dealing with campus crime, including crime reporting laws regulated by the U. S. Department of Education.
We are pleased to report that our crime statistics are very favorable, and crime prevention continues to be our primary goal as we proactively move forward. Campus crime statistics are published annually and made available to all staff and students.
For additional information about campus safety, you can:
- Call our main office at 304-357-4857 during normal business hours
- Call our 24-hour voice pager at 304-348-0001
- Dial HELP from any campus business phone or call box or for emergencies dial 911
When calling the voice pager, please leave your recorded message and phone number, and someone will get back with you as soon as possible.