Posted: July 8, 2014
The Financial Aid Assistant serves as a representative of the University of Charleston to assist current and prospective students in determining the affordability of obtaining education through financial aid, loans and payment options as well as perform various support and clerical duties. This full-time exempt position reports to the Director of Financial Aid.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION
- Serve as a point of contact and customer service representative to internal and external customers via phone, e-mail, and any other form of communication, providing consistent, accurate and timely information about financial aid services.
- Manage office documents including filing, sorting, distributing incoming and outgoing documents, bulk mailing.
- Assist students in making application for financial aid
- Assist with the administration of the Federal College Work Study program.
- Counsel and advise students about financial aid eligibility, application process, and aid programs, when appropriate.
- Collect and review financial data on students to determine aid eligibility and make awards within federal, donor and/or institutional guidelines.
- Use Datatel Colleague, Microsoft Office, ELM, NSLDS, FAA Access to review electronic notifications.
- Apply and abide by the Federal Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and parental confidentiality issues
- Verify continued compliance and eligibility of students receiving aid under federal and institutional guidelines; notifies students of changes in eligibility of awards and alternatives to amend the situation.
- Carry out other duties and responsibilities assigned by the Director of Financial Aid
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Knowledge of government rules, regulations, guidelines, and procedures for awarding of financial aid preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively with customers
- Ability to perform work with accuracy
- Experience in administrative support or office management.
- Ability to set priorities, take initiative, work with minimal direction, is detail oriented, and able to multi-task.
- Must present self in a professional manner and reflect the goals and standards of the University.
- Ability to research, gather data, compile information, and prepare reports
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and manage confidential information
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Access)
- Knowledge of Datatel Colleague a plus
- Must be a team player
Education and Experience
- College Degree strongly preferred
- Two or more years of previous student financial aid service experience preferred
To apply send cover letter, resume/application, references and salary requirements to:
Nina Morton, Director of Financial Aid
University of Charleston
2300 MacCorkle Avenue, SE
Charleston, WV 25304
The University of Charleston is an Equal Opportunity Employer.