Posted: October 24, 2013
University of Charleston - Beckley
Responsible for administering the programs of the university Physical Plant; including building maintenance and repair, grounds maintenance, custodian services, receiving, and capital inventory control.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides direction for the physical plant functions of the university. Areas of emphasis include building comfort control, cleaning and repair of buildings and equipment, landscaping and maintenance of grounds, receiving incoming material and equipment, and inventory control for all capital equipment.
- Develops and implements programs and schedules for preventive maintenance, equipment replacement, and energy conservation. May receive assistance from District Facilities and Planning staff for major projects.
- Participates in the development of annual division budget. Administers budget and monitors division expenses.
- Coordinates construction and remodeling activities, street and parking lot resurfacing, etc. Ensures compliance with applicable building codes.
- Ensures compliance with applicable building codes.
- Maintains athletic playing fields and swimming pools when applicable.
- Maintains blueprints and specification files for all buildings, systems and major equipment. Selects, trains, evaluates and supervises clerical staff and supervisory personnel in each area of physical plant function.
- Performs other duties as required.
First levels supervisor is the Director of Facilities & Services. Second level supervisor is the Executive Vice President for Administration & Finance.
Minimum Educational/Skills Requirements
Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering and three years of physical plant administrative experience. The following experience/education requirements may be used in lieu of the Bachelor’s Degree/experience:
- Five years supervision in operations or 7 years supervision in another area of physical plant workgroups; with
- A total of 15 years of physical plant experience and evidence of progressively responsible positions; or a total of 10 years of physical plant experience, evidence of progressively responsible positions and an Associate Degree (or journeyman’s license).
Proven oral and written communication skills to interact with varying levels of UC staff, students, vendors, and service personnel, and the general public.
To apply for position, send cover letter, resume, and three work references to:
University of Charleston
Cathleen Salmons, Office Manager
2300 MacCorkle Avenue, SE
Charleston, WV 25304
The University of Charleston is an Equal Opportunity Employer.