International students in F-1 immigration status are required by Immigration regulation to be full-time students for two consecutive terms each year. Generally, students register full-time for fall and spring terms.
The following is a general summary of what students need to know to maintain legal status in the U. S.:
- Maintain a valid passport
- Attend the school the students were last authorized to attend by the Citizenship and Immigration Service (CIS)
- Be registered as a full-time student
- Apply for extensions of program when necessary
- Inform the Director of International Programs whenever students change their address and/or telephone number. It is mandatory that changes of address be reported in the SEVIS system within 10 days of a move.
Do not work without the necessary authorization.