Pre-Arrival Steps for New International Students
Congratulations on becoming a student at the University of Charleston!
Prior to your arrival, the following steps need to be completed:
- Complete and submit the appropriate online housing application. Note that if you need to leave a line blank on the housing form, you should type “xxx” in its place to ensure that the application will be submitted successfully. Also, please read the Housing Contract thoroughly and ask if you have any questions. You can direct questions about residence life and meal plans to Virginia Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Provide a detailed itinerary including the date and time of your arrival to Sherri Washington via email at email@example.com. Please send your FULL itinerary from your departure to your arrival at the Charleston airport (code: CRW), so that we can arrange for your pick-up from the airport and will be able to track you in the event that any of your flights are missed or delayed. If your arrival time or date changes, please notify Sherri immediately at 304-357-4757.
- Submit immunization documents in compliance with our policy as stated below:
The following immunizations are required:
- MMR (measles, mumps and rubella)
- Hepatitis B
- Meningococcal Meningitis
All full-time international students must provide documentation of having had a Tuberculin Skin (PPD) or T-spot Test to screen for tuberculosis (TB) within six months prior to enrollment in the university regardless of prior BCG immunizations. If the results of either test are positive, a chest x-ray is required. A student may request a waiver from tuberculin skin testing if the student is from a country that has been identified by the Centers for Disease Control as having low prevalence of tuberculosis.
- Verify your health insurance policy. The University of Charleston enrolls all of its international students in a group health insurance program which includes coverage for accidents and illnesses while studying in the United States. The cost for the insurance is automatically added to your invoice; however, if you choose to have another policy, you must get authorization by completing the Health Insurance Waiver form. If approved, you will receive a refund in the amount of the unused portion of the policy.
- Pay your invoice in full prior to first day of classes. This can be done via wire transfer, check, or credit card either prior to your arrival or at the Student Solutions Center after you have arrived to campus.