September 26, 2011
Some of you will be receiving a lot of emails from students soon, regarding their ePortfolios. Would you like to pre-sort some of your emails into folders, so your Inbox doesn’t seem so full? Or, wouldn’t it be nice to color-code your incoming emails? It isn’t as hard as you would think. (Note: Before you can send emails to a folder you have to create that folder. Right-click on your Inbox and select New Folder.) Now, follow these directions:
- On the Home tab, in the Move section, click on Rules, and then Create a Rule.
- In the Create Rule dialog box, click on the Advanced Options button.
- In Step 1, checkmark the Condition(s) that should be met. My, my! Look at all of your choices! Choose one. Ex.: “with specific words in the sender’s address”
- In Step 2, click on the blue underlined words to edit what those specific words will be. Click Add, and then Ok when you have finished.
- Click Next to go to “What do you want to do with the message?”
- Step 1, checkmark your choice(s) Ex.: “Assign it to the Category category.”
- Step 2, click on the blue underlined words in your selected action(s). If you are color coding your emails, click on the word Category. This will take you to Color Categories, which you can add to, rename, etc.
- Click Next to go to the Exceptions window. Make your choices, if any.
- Click Next. Step 1, Give Rule a Name. Step 2, Run and/or Turn on. Step 3, Review.
- Hit Finish.
- If you have chosen to color code your incoming emails and you want to see the little colored icon next to the corresponding emails, go to the View tab/Current View/View Settings/Columns.Highlight the color and then Add->. Move it to the desired position in your email columns. Hit OK. (To change the name of the category, right click on the icon, and click on All Categories. To see the icon only, just drag the column over to hide the category name.)