Students must gain general admission to the University of Charleston. A visit to campus to meet with Admissions personnel and program faculty is strongly encouraged.
Students may apply for admission to the Athletic Training Education Program (ATEP) after being on campus for one semester. Applications are only accepted during the spring semester of each year. Students receive application information in the spring semester; this material can also be located on the department's web page.
Applications are accepted each spring semester and must be submitted in their entirety by March 15th to the ATEP Program Director.
Faculty-to-student ratios and the highly individualized nature of this program limit the quota of applicants accepted in the ATEP. The number accepted varies each year. Students not accepted into the program may reapply the following year.
To be eligible for acceptance to the ATEP, a student must:
- Earn a minimum 2.75 overall GPA.
- Achieve a minimum of "C" or higher in all Athletic Training and allied field requirements.
- Complete a minimum of 60 "directed observation" clinical observation hours obtained during the first two semesters.
- Completion of the Application Packet:
- Letter of application
- Undergraduate transcripts
- Clinical observation hours and service point forms
- Self evaluation
- Four reference evaluations and letters of recommendation
- Requirements for Progression and Graduation
- Proof of current ECCC card (either BLS for the Healthcare Provider or Professional Rescuer)
- Proof of current First Aid card
- Current student medical history, physical examination, and technical standards
- Immunization review and clearance for clinical practice
- Photograph release form
- Interview with selected members of the ATEP Interview Committee.
Students submitting completed applications by March 15th and meeting the above criteria will be scheduled for an interview with the ATEP Interview Committee. Students will be notified of their admission in writing using the home address by May 15th. In the event a student is not admitted to the ATEP Program, that student may reapply the following year. A student may reapply for admission to the ATEP Program only once.