The University of Charleston:
- Is approved to accept the GI Bill
- Offers military discounts and scholarships
- Participates in Chapter 33 benefits, including the Yellow Ribbon program
Discounts for Military Students
Post 9/11 Yellow Ribbon GI Bill recipients will receive a 50% discount on tuition.
Military veterans who attend the University of Charleston will soon feel at home among the faculty, staff, and fellow classmates. UC's commitment to current and former service personnel is reflected in the many benefits available to military students:
- ACE Recommendations for Transfer Military Credit. UC accepts military transfer credit based on the standards of the American Council on Education (ACE) for military training and previous college coursework.
- Credit by examination:
- Veteran students may apply for credit by alternative means such as transfer credit from previous college work, and nationally standardized tests including College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES), or through Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) portfolio assessment.
- The maximum combined credits granted by UC for CLEP, DANTES, and PLA portfolio assessment is 30 credit hours.
- Affiliation with SOC, DANTES, West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission:
- UC is a member of the Service members Opportunity Colleges (SOC) Consortium and DANTES.
- UC also is an active participant in the WVHEPC, Veteran Education and Training Programs.
- Re-enrollment. When students whose higher education academic careers are interrupted by mobilization/activation re-enroll in the same institution within one year of completing their involuntary term of active service, the University will make every possible effort to place these students back into their academic studies track as close as possible to the same place the students occupied when mobilized/activated. This will allow students to continue their academic studies with as little interruption as possible.
For more information about benefits for veterans at UC, contact Michael Levy at 304-357-4946 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about educational benefits for veterans, go to www.gibill.va.gov or call 888-442-4551.
Download the Military Enrollment Form for the University of Charleston.