The University of Charleston:
- Is approved to accept the GI Bill
- Offers military discounts and scholarships
- Participates in Chapter 33 benefits, including the Yellow Ribbon program
Discounts for Military Students
The military discount is for undergraduate students only. The rate is $250.00/hour for all regional (Beckley, Martinsburg, and Online) programs excluding the health sciences (DMS, OTA, Rad Tech). Students on the Charleston campus who are in the OL Program also receive the military discount.
Military veterans who attend the University of Charleston will soon feel at home among the faculty, staff, and fellow classmates. UC's commitment to current and former service personnel is reflected in the many benefits available to military students:
- ACE Recommendations for Transfer Military Credit. UC accepts military transfer credit based on the standards of the American Council on Education (ACE) for military training and previous college coursework.
- Credit by examination:
- Veteran students may apply for credit by alternative means such as transfer credit from previous college work, and nationally standardized tests including College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES), or through Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) portfolio assessment.
- The maximum combined credits granted by UC for CLEP, DANTES, and PLA portfolio assessment is 30 credit hours.
- Affiliation with SOC, DANTES, West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission:
- UC is a member of the Service members Opportunity Colleges (SOC) Consortium and DANTES.
- UC also is an active participant in the WVHEPC, Veteran Education and Training Programs.
- Re-enrollment. When students whose higher education academic careers are interrupted by mobilization/activation re-enroll in the same institution within one year of completing their involuntary term of active service, the University will make every possible effort to place these students back into their academic studies track as close as possible to the same place the students occupied when mobilized/activated. This will allow students to continue their academic studies with as little interruption as possible.
Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC) Residency Requirement
The University of Charleston limits academic residency to no more than twenty-five percent of the degree requirements for all undergraduate degrees for active-duty servicemembers. Academic residency can be completed at any time while active-duty servicemembers are enrolled at the University subject to stated specific major requirements. Reservists and National Guardsmen on active-duty are covered in the same manner.
For more information about benefits for veterans at UC, contact Michael Levy at 304-357-4946 or email@example.com.
For more information about educational benefits for veterans, go to www.gibill.va.gov or call 888-442-4551.
Download the Military Enrollment Form for the University of Charleston.
Please send or email the completed form to:
University of Charleston
Office of Admissions
2300 MacCorkle Avenue SE
Charleston, WV 25304